CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, April 8, 2011

Why I run

I got out and ran both Tuesday and yesterday. Both runs went really well-- much better than my run on Saturday. My hip held out and I can feel my endurance increasing. I managed to get out in the Spring sunshine both days. I have run on a treadmill all winter because I hate to go out in the cold and wet so it felt really nice to get outside and feel the warmth of the sun again.

Tuesday's run was brought to me in part by Duran Duran (the other parts being perseverance and sunshine!).   Yesterday's run was fueled by Keith Urban.  I ran a little over 2 miles both days (which included hills, I might add) and I only had to take 3 very short walking breaks each time.  I'm still not sure I'm going to be able to run the whole 5k next week, but I'm okay with that.  I may be run/walk-ing it, but I'm going to enjoy it all the same!  All in all, they were really good runs both days.  It reignited my fire and reminded me why I love running.

Speaking of my love of running, as previously promised, here is a list of many of the reasons I run.  It's probably not going to be an all inclusive list since I'll probably forget some reasons, but it will probably be pretty close.

-It makes me feel like an athlete, for the first time in my life (I did not play organized sports as a kid)
-I love the "runner's high"
-While I'm running I feel free, fit, young, and light as air
-Not only do you burn massive amounts of calories during a run, but your body continues to burn calories for hours after you've stopped running
-I can listen to the music I want to listen to (with no children complaining about it)
-It motivates me to eat healthier
-I can do it indoors on a treadmill and watch TV or outdoors and enjoy the scenery
-I feel such a sense of accomplishment and personal pride, especially after completing a race
-I'm not competing against anybody but myself and I challenge myself to get better and better
-It gives me time to think and helps me clear my head
-It's a great stress buster
-It's something I do just for me, by myself, because I deserve to make myself a priority and I love to get out of the house and just have some 'me' time
-The running community is made up of people of all different shapes, sizes, and ages and they are not only non-discriminatory, but so supportive and encouraging of anyone who even attempts running
-Someday I want to be one of those fit senior citizens you see running down the road or in races (they inspire me SO much!)
-I'm not only allowed to eat more, the more miles I run, but I'm supposed to!
-CARBS! Best part of being a runner is that you NEED carbs to fuel your muscles. It's not just highly recommended-- it's required! I LOVE CARBS, therefore I LOVE RUNNING!

2 comments:

Lora said...

I love that you started a blog!! Half marathon!! It is fun to do a half marathon, just so you can say you did it! Love it and what a great goal!

Matt and Melissa said...

What a great post! I loved hearing all the reasons you love running. How awesome! Keep it up sis!

Post a Comment

Talk to me...