CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, May 21, 2011

One, Two, Three Strikes... You're OUT!

I'm currently sitting at my youngest child's Little League game, with my laptop, trying to kill time. My nearly 10-year-old, “Jabberjaw”, LOVES baseball. He eats, sleeps, and breathes baseball. I, on the other hand, do NOT love baseball. I am not a big sports fan, period. I am a fan of my kids, however, so I sit through many, many baseball games, even though, most of the time, I would prefer to scrub toilets.

And that's saying a lot, because I don't really like scrubbing toilets.

This is my second boy to play baseball. My older son, “Genius”, played for several years and Hubs and I suffered through pretty much all of his games, as well. I know a lot of people like baseball, so I don't mean any offense in this post, but to each his own, as they say. I probably would have preferred if they had chosen basketball or even soccer. There's a lot more action in those sports. I just find baseball (especially Little League) to be mind-numbingly boring. In Jabberjaw's defense, he is a short kid, so basketball would not have been an option for him. And he is a good ball player.  The Hubby did not play baseball as a kid.  He prefers basketball (I rest my case).

Strike One:  Hubster and I are NOT baseball fans.

I usually bring something to do during the game to keep my mind from turning into jell-o. Some years I've brought a book, sometimes I've worked on crocheting. This year the distraction of choice is my laptop. I generally don't have internet out at the ball field, so I'll work offline and write my blog or do some journaling on OpenOffice and then transfer it to the websites when I get home. My husband's usually better about watching and he'll give me a 'heads up' when Jabberjaw's up to bat or if the ball is going toward him out in the field.

The baseball season, this year, was even more excruciatingly painful than years past. This has got to be the longest season ever. I always look forward to the end of baseball season, but this year I will do a happy dance when it's over! Jabberjaw's coaches are much more into the sport than Genius's coaches ever were. Jabberjaw is much more into the sport than Genius ever was. Genius quit playing about the age Jabberjaw is now and Jj doesn't show any signs of stopping. So we are now at a level of Little League that requires a lot more practices, a lot fancier equipment, and driving to farther away games. But Jabberjaw is loving it, so I endure.

Strike Two: I have no life for 3 months!

The other reason I'm SO ready for baseball season to be over is because this has been THE COLDEST SPRING EVER! I have never been so cold sitting through games (again basketball, being an indoor sport would have been really nice!). It's finally starting to warm up a little... and the season's practically over! It's pretty bad when you are dressing in heavy coats, boots, hats, and gloves in April. The very first game of the season I was shivering so hard, my teeth were chattering! No joke! That is why baseball is not a winter sport, but we never really had a Spring this year where I live. 

Strike Three: I've lost all feeling in my fingers and toes!

Oh... the game just ended!  And... I. AM. OUTTA Here!!!! 


2 comments:

Heather said...

Stopping by from SITS. Between my husband and myself we will have sat through at least 7 softball and baseball games this weekend!(that is not even counting the lacrosse games) My two oldest are 9 and 11 and they both play. It means I have no time to get anything done and have to sit through hours of mind numbing ball playing.

I am with you and the love of indoor sports. I remember the first time I took my daughter to a gymnastics practice - I was overwhelmed by how comfortable I was, not being at the mercy of the elements!

Lora said...

You definitely make it sound fun :) I guess I will consider myself blessed that none of my children continued with sports past the age of 11 :) Sorry you dislike it so much, I prefer baseball to soccer though, that is mind numbing to me :)

Post a Comment

Talk to me...